The Bar Human Rights Committee of England and Wales (BHRC) and the All Party Parliamentary Human Rights Group (PHRG) are pleased to host this timely webinar, with a panel of experts across law, civil society, the media and academia to consider the state of human rights, democracy and the rule of law in India today.
As India is declared only “partly free” by Freedom House in its latest annual Freedom in the World report, we will consider increasing concerns over the crackdown on dissent and free speech, the erosion of minority rights and discrimination, and the shrinking space for civil society.
- Dr Mukulika Banerjee, Associate Professor, LSE
- Dr M. Mohsin Alam Bhat, Associate Professor, Jindal Global Law School
- Schona Jolly QC, Barrister and Chair of BHRC
- Aakar Patel, Former Head of Amnesty India, Current Chair of India Board at Amnesty International
- Siddharth Bhatia, Journalist and founder of The Wire
The event will be chaired by Dame Diana Johnson MP, PHRG Chair
The speakers will be followed by a Q&A session.
Please note that full registration is required through Eventbrite. This event is open to the public, but due to the anticipated number of attendees, priority will be given to BHRC members, Parliamentarians, Parliamentary passholders and invited guests. A Zoom link will be sent to confirmed guests closer to the event.
Please note that this event was originally scheduled for 26 April but was postponed due to the COVID-19 situation in India at that time. You will need to re-register to attend this event.